Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Neo-Buffy Phase


Last night, I had a pretty vivid dream....a Buffy the Vampire Slayer dream. In first person. And Angel/Angelus was there.

I won't go into too much detail for those who aren't on the up-an-up about Buffy, but let's just say it was nerdy. But I didn't find the dream particularly alarming, probably because in the last little while, I've been getting back into the Buffyverse. I'd watched it almost religiously when I was a teenager, but it's been a while since it was part of my daily life. Sure, I'll watch it when it's on at 2pm on my days off, but I actually went out and bought a Buffy comic book (from a real comic book shop) last week. I'd never had a real nerdy moment like that before - walking out of the shop and realizing that my eco-conscious self who opted against a plastic bag and realizing that everyone could see that I bought a Buffy comic....but I'm coming around to it. And if M is wondering what it is that I want for my birthday in May, I'm thinking a coupla DVD sets of either Angel...or Buffy....or both.

Well, I was just thinking about this phase I'm going through. I realized that the last time I went through a similar phase, it was with the Twilight series of books. And I'd done a lot of self reflection after that phase, too. I'd realized that I'd gravitated towards it because my own life at the time was rather depressing, stressful, and probably lonely. I was just finishing nursing school, and I was broke, and going crazy. But I read Twilight, and got totally energized. Something to live vicariously through?

But what am I now? I've been feeling much the same now as I was when I was reading Twilight. And now I've gravitated towards a teen-angsty, frivolous, relationship-based theme again! It feels really silly, and definitely nerdy, and not nearly as "adult" as I'm supposed to be, but it makes me feel happy, so I'm just going to go with it. I fully plan on purchasing the other comics in the Buffy series (I'm a few years behind, but thankfully, Joss Whedon only wrote the storylines for about a 1/3 of the comics out, and I'd rather stick to Joss' work), and I'm going to use them as the "goal" for an upcoming health challenge I'm starting this week (if successful each week, I get to buy one new book). And I certainly didn't mind the adventure I dreamt last night.

Now if only Joss and the Scoobie gang (the cast of Buffy) would get together to make a movie. Then, I think I'd be set.

No comments:

Post a Comment