Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy Canada Day!


Drink something ice cold and see some great fireworks!

My Canada Day has been less than thrilling, but I'm definitely having a proud Canada Day. In this area, it's difficult not to. The local newsletter came with a 81/2 x 11 sized window flag, and the neighbour had a fluorescent maple leaf sign. I find that celebration of Canada Day is slightly different here in Ontario than in BC...not that people in BC aren't proud Canadians, but there's a definite sense of Canadian establishment here that isn't quite in BC. People have been living in Ontario several hundred years longer than they've been settled in BC, so I feel like there's a deeper sense of "our land"...It's difficult to put a finger on, but either way, it's all good.

I haven't written in a while because I'm working with a 56K dial up internet modem. It takes forever to do anything, including posting on a blog. It took be nearly 4 hours to download 4 minutes of a 9 minute video. blah. But I'll try to post once a week, maybe.

The weather here's been pretty rainy and wet. I don't mind that, but it does mean that when the rain all finishes, it'll be extra humid.

So I said that my day hasn't been all that exciting, but I like it that way. Usually I'm stressed to the max, even when I'm on vacation. But I barely have internet, I have no social obligations whatsoever, and I work casual-on call. So I've spent a lot of time knitting, playing the guitar I rented for the summer, and writing hand-written letters to my friends. It's been really nice that way. I've also got a summer membership to the gym in the next town over, and I go there probably 4 times a week. That's been really good for me. I'm just getting myself sorted out, and taking care of myself.

I'm planning on going Strawberry picking on Friday. I haven't done that in years. I used to go with mom when I was little, and I'm pretty sure I ate more strawberries than I put in my basket (which I'm sure mom should have paid for, haha). I want to get a bunch so I can eat 'em, and bake with them. I just want a giant bushel of strawberries. They smell so good. mmm. Also, I want to have a pie baked for my really good friend who's going to visit me here on Saturday. It's pretty much the most excitement I'm going to get in a while, so I want to do it with a flourish!

No comments:

Post a Comment