Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Baking Frenzy

Do any of you watch Grey's Anatomy?

You know when Denny died? And whatsherface didn't know what to do except bake and bake and bake?

OK, don't worry. Nobody died. but I've been feeling a little listless and directionless. So yesterday I baked. I baked a peach cobbler. It's so incredibly good.

The I baked Pizza dough. Sort of. Grandma had this breadmaker. All you do is follow the recipe and put the ingredients into the machine, and press GO. no stirring, even. The dough's in the fridge ready for pizza making for supper tonight.

Then I baked a pan of brownies. mmm. They were real easy, too.

Then this morning, I woke up and said "I want to make bread." Knowing that I had the breadmaker, I knew it would be a snap. Throw in the ingredients, and the yeast, press "GO," and the machine said that in 3 hours and 50 minutes, I'd have fresh bread. The machine does the mixing and the rising and the kneading and the baking. Pretty wicked. right now we're rising. I'm 2 hours and 9 minutes away from bread. mmm. just in time for supper...ecept you don't usually eat bread with pizza.

Mom says I can have the breadmaker if I want it. Grandma got it not long before she died 9 years ago, and it's hardly ever been used. It works perfect. It's black and decker. All I have to do is figure out how to get it back to Kamloops.

Did you know that this thing can even make apple crumble!? You just throw everything in there and you put it at the "dessert" setting, and BOOM. Apple crumble. That'll be my next trick, I think.

And considering how much bread costs at home (here, not so bad since it's made at the local bakery - a hot loaf for $1.12) -nearly $3, for the price of 3 cups of flour I can have real good bread without all the preservtives. mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment