Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day One

I Survived! Yessss.

Wednesday, tired though excited, I ran to catch the 0610am bus to the Hospital.

I missed the 0610am bus.

BUT! Vancouver transit being as great as it is, I caught the next bus 10 minutes later. God I love this bus system.

I was still on time, and the day went pretty smoothly from there.

Below is a picture of my new best friend, the King Edward and Willow Street bus stop outside of the hospital.

My nurse preceptor is pretty cool. I was expecting her to be older, but I like her the way she is. She's pretty relaxed, too, which makes my life so much easier (My stress level dropped about 100 points). She gave me the prerequisite tour de ward, and I realized that I'm really going to like the Adolescent Mental Health ward. The patient acuity isn't has high as I had expected, for sure. They max 10 patients on the ward, and there are enough staff members that no nurse will have to care for more than 3 people at a time. It's quite informal there, and nurses will often eat meals with them (the nurses bring their own, bit sit at the tables with them). The day was pretty smooth. There really wasn't much for me to do, especially when 8 of the kids went bowling for three hours in the afternoon.

My precetor let me off early from my 12 hours shift. Sweetness.

I went back last night to put in another 4 hours (since my schedule right now is in limbo), and it was more of the same. Several of the kids had their parents come in. I'm liking that bit - I mean, it's nice to see that family still comes to see them (unlike what happens with adults admitted to the hospital).

But, "work" aside. I haven't done any knitting for a few days, but I think that's more to do with the fact that I've been rockin' out on my guitar! I've named her Alice. That's just because I want to. Plus, I think an Alice would play the kind of songs I've been playing (which is a lot of Dixie Chicks, Shania, and Taylor Swift, ha!)

I was thinking that I wanted to give her a tattoo, but I'm not sure about what to make that look like, or how best to do it without compromising sound. That, and I was also thinking about open mic night at the UBC pub. Now, of course I wouldn't do that alone - HA! but....I am trying to rope a friend in. I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment