Monday, February 16, 2009

SHOPPING!

yes. Shopping on Robson street in downntown Vancouver. *sigh*. It was a really good day. AND, I got my clinical rotation schedule for the next several weeks which means I can go on planning my life. ah....I'm back in my comfort zone.

I started the day after Mike printed me out a map of the downtown (which turned out to be very useful) and I started the journey into the core of city-ville...alone. I actually don't mind shopping by myself because it means I don't have to worry about catering to the shopping needs of others and I can spend as much time as I like looking in the stores I want to.

First Shop. I won't say. I bought a birthday present for a boyfriend I won't name who might just be reading this blog. But I did buy the coolest pair of sunglasses of pretty much all time. They're plastic frames with circular lenses, and the sunglass part flips up. so great. Oh, and they're yellow and black.

Next, Tom Lee's Music store where I purchased a capo for my guitar. Now I can play MORE music and annoy (or not, considering my "skllz" at rockin' out) Mike's roommates. niceness.

Next, varying shops for which I can't remember the names. But I did come across a store selling "Flashoes" (as my mother and I lovingly call them) They're those black canvas mary-jane type shoes that look like they come from a little asian market somewhere. But they've got a nice little floral pattern on the toe.

Next, I wish I could remember the name of this shop, but it was in the basement of some building near Robson street. It was the most amazing vintage clothing shop. When I came out (after much parousing) I felt quite zen. *sigh* I tried on a few dresses, thinking about convocation coming up soon. Here are some of the lovelies:


YESSS. I picked out the first one saying "ooo, this looks like a fun sequined Gem sweater. It turned out to be a full dress. But I couldn't get the zipper done up all the way, but that's only because I couldn't get my arms that high. The Second one was so great, but I don't think I could have pulled that one off. That zipper didn't go nearly as high as it needed to. But it was so wicked, I didn't care.

But, alas, I had to leave.

My next shop involved a pretty embarrassing (yet comical) moment. While looking at shoes on the way out of a store, I walked head on into a plate glass door. face first. Everyone turned to look and I - laughing- explained. A woman in the store called out "Nobody saw you do it...leave while you still can!" Best thing I've done in a while. It was pretty funny, considering the fact that the door was open about 12 inches away.

I also decided today that I'm pretty "blah" about Lululemon. So many people are willing to buy grossly overpriced sweats that you can get at costco and walmart. I still can't believe that people are willing to pay so much for a sweatshirt just because it's got the logo on it. Of course, this applies to many fashion brands, but I think Lulu bugs me more because it's not that special, really. Like, a pair of haute couture shoes scream "I'm beautiful", whereas Lululemon says "I'm a sweatpant that you've over paid for." I'm not going to judge any of those who buy Lulu (simply because this type of thing has been happening forever and I need to keep friends), but I though that since I have this blog that I can write anything on, I may as well write this.

GO BLOG GO!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you know I had to create an account so that I could comment on this!
    Well it sounds like your shopping excursion was fun, productive, and bum-free. But I must say, in my defense, I went about the lululemon thing very scientifically. For the first 3 years that we danced at KDA, I didn't get any lulu. I, like you, thought I would just get the knockoffs from walmart, and I would be smarter. Alas, being in an intensive hip hop class (I'm sure you can imagine) I just found that the walmart version could not handle it. There were pills, thinning, sliding down, tears at the seams, sweat stains, and during floorwork, the plastic-based material would melt and cut my knees.
    That's when I decided I would try lulu. And man, have I been in heaven. Yes, I spend more on a pair of pants or a shirt than I would have at walmart, but I still have lulu items from 4 years ago, therefore the turnover rate of lulu has yet to be established, and so far is MUCH MUCH longer than walmart or any likeness of, making it actually more cost efficient for me to shop there.
    However, I do agree with you that 80% of the customers I see in lululemon and wearing it around places, are only after it for the label, and couldn't do any sort of physical activity to save their lives (because they don't realize they are going to die of heart disease or diabetes).
    That part irritates me as well, and I think perhaps it wouldn't cost so much if "posers" didn't want it so badly. Oh well, what can you do? I won't lie though... when I have 4 hours of class with no break and then i'm studying afterward, I wear head to toe lulu. It's just so damn comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose you are the exception to the rule, then. I get that. I like to wear sweats often, when I'm not gettin' down with the physical activity train. So I'm OK wearing the knockoffs. But if you're in it for the long haul, then do what you need to do. It's the same for pointe shoes for ballet. If you don't want to hurt yourself, you've got to spend the money to get the best pair.
    But you get what I'm laying down. I remember in school when if you didn't have a pair of Nike cross-trainers you were nobody. And we didn't even need them.

    ReplyDelete